Reporting to the Assistant Director of Digital Marketing and Communications for the Peabody Institute, we are seeking a Advertising Manager-Peabody who will plan and implement the annual marketing and advertising plans for Conservatory admissions, Preparatory enrollment, and concerts and special events. This position works closely with other members of the Marketing and Communications team as well as faculty and staff colleagues/clients and third-party vendors to ensure appropriate promotion of Peabody’s programs and events across local and national print media and broadcast outlets, as well as on digital platforms including social media. They manage the related budgets, contracts, and invoices and provide general communications and administrative support for the department.
The Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University advances a dynamic, 21st-century model of performing arts training in pursuit of its mission: to elevate the human experience through leadership at the intersection of art and education. Through its Conservatory for undergraduate and graduate studies and the Preparatory, Baltimore’s largest community performing arts school, Peabody empowers musicians and dancers from diverse backgrounds to create and perform at the highest level.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop an annual advertising plan ($200,000+), to include print, broadcast, and online advertising and event-based promotions and sponsorships to support Conservatory recruitment, Preparatory enrollment, and concert promotion including new and specialty programs and markets. Manage implementation of plan and place traditional/third-party media buys to ensure adherence to both budget and deadlines. Adapt plans as needed throughout the year to support changing priorities and take advantage of new opportunities.
- Pro-actively solicit information about performances, course descriptions, schedules, policies, and procedures as needed to meet deadlines and ensure accuracy of materials.
- Partner with colleagues to ideate and craft marketing content for digital media, print advertising, partnerships, and print collateral. Write copy and work closely with Sr. Graphic Designer to create artwork for ads.
- Identify appropriate vendors for media buying and manage relationships. Negotiate advertising contracts and promotional opportunities and manage procurement process in conjunction with Johns Hopkins Shared Services and the business office.
- Manage advertising, printing, and supply invoices from vendors, ensure accuracy, and submit for timely payments. Coordinate independent contractor agreements as needed. Procure office supplies and communications equipment for team.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with local arts organizations and media companies and identify opportunities for cross-promotion or sponsorship.
- Produce reports detailing outcomes (budgeted/planned vs. actual) and providing trend analysis.
- As a member of the Marketing and Communications team, participate in content strategy planning for social and advertising campaigns, generate story ideas for print and digital platforms, proofread materials for print and online publication, and handle other general communications and administrative duties as assigned.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of constituents.
- Ability to manage budgets and complex schedules with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to organize workflow, prioritize and manage multiple projects with minimal direction, work collaboratively to meet deadlines, think critically, and exercise good judgment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Two years relevant experience in communications and marketing, administrative support, or related fields.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Experience in arts and/or education setting.
- Interest in/knowledge or appreciation of classical music, jazz, dance, and the performing arts.
- Experience using WordPress, Adobe InDesign, OneDrive, Meta Business Suite, Google Ads, and project management systems.
Classified Title: Communications Specialist
Working Title: Advertising Manager – Peabody
Starting Salary Range: Min $44,850 – Max $78,360 Annually ($54,590 budgeted; Commensurate with experience0
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: 37.5 hours per week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Peabody Institute
Department name: Communications and Web Services
Personnel area: Peabody
To learn more visit: https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Advertising-Manager-Peabody-MD-21202/1050732100/