We have an exciting new job opportunity in Rockville for an Arts, Culture and History Program Manager. A collaborative and visionary leader, the Arts, Culture and History Program Manager will be responsible for elevating the visibility and impact of the arts for the City of Rockville, which includes significantly raising community awareness, citizen participation, overall visibility, and impact of the arts. This will include continuing to build relationships with Rockville’s supported arts groups, as well as creative community partners.
It is expected that the Arts, Culture and History Program Manager will work with internal and external stakeholders to develop a comprehensive vision and plan for arts, culture and heritage for Rockville, with the goal to strengthen cultural vitality through excellent, relevant, and sustainable results. Serving as the public face of the City arts, culture and creative economy efforts, the Arts, Culture and History Program Manager will direct the development and implementation of a broad range of policies and services to support, preserve, and strengthen Rockville’s diverse artistic, cultural and heritage community. The position will convene the creative sector to establish a cohesive cultural environment that supports existing, and attracts new, arts organizations and entrepreneurs. The Arts, Culture and History Program Manager will cultivate Rockville’s brand as a diverse and creative city working with destination marketing, economic development, and communications organizations and departments.
This position is part of the City Manager’s Office and reports directly to the Deputy City Manager. The Arts, Culture and History Program Manager is responsible for managing and providing staff support to the Rockville’s Cultural Arts Commission, whose members are appointed by the Mayor and City Council. The Manager will interact with, and advocate for, a broad range of artists, arts organizations, educators, business leaders, community leaders, and City officials. This role will provide an extraordinary opportunity for a dynamic, experienced arts professional and organizational manager to provide strong leadership and creativity as the city becomes a hub for artists and a creative economy.
Essential Job Functions
Strategic Development and Leadership
- Engage the general public and the existing arts community in developing a community cultural plan that is inclusive.
- Administer and grow the City’s Art in Public Places Program, the Art in Private Development programs, and elevate the visibility of these programs.
- Identify and implement policies that raise awareness and enhance visibility of the arts, while fostering arts participation for all.
- Coordinate with Rockville Economic Development, Inc. to enhance the creative economy, including attracting new arts organizations and investments and to leverage Explore Rockville to highlight the art and cultural assets of the city.
- Build relationships with artists, arts organizations, businesses, schools, government agencies, the media and other groups.
- Oversee city grants provided to arts and cultural organizations.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to create an arts and entertainment district and/or otherwise brand the city’s creative assets.
- Support the success of existing arts organizations through marketing, training, and strategic planning support.
- Convene artists, creative businesses and creative entrepreneurs to facilitate networking and build a cohesive professional environment.
- Partner with City departments and other partner organizations to reflect arts in all aspects of City government (e.g. master plans and neighborhood plans, creative placemaking in the design of public spaces.
- Serve as the City’s top voice for the arts, culture, and heritage, representing the City at meetings, conventions, and public forums in the business, philanthropic, and civic sectors.
- Develop a program that communicates the positive social, educational, economic, and community impacts of arts, culture, and heritage activities.
- Lead cultural tourism and other regional planning efforts to highlight the vast resources of the city, with an eye towards opportunities for further cultural and economic development.
- Support appropriate initiatives to expand public support for the arts and culture sector while working with partners to promote the value of the arts as a catalyst for economic development.
- Keep abreast of relevant national and statewide initiatives and legislation.
- Empower the members of the Rockville’s Culture Arts Commission with knowledge and information that energizes their advocacy efforts, as appropriate.
- Identify and assess the needs of the city’s cultural organizations, individual artists, funders, business leaders, educational organizations, government agencies and residents.
- Build arts, culture and heritage organizational capacity through professional development opportunities that enhance and attract artists and cultural organizations.
Administration and Fiscal Oversight
- Maintain relationships with City departments while providing fiscal and organizational leadership of the creative and cultural services and resources of the City.
- Develop goals, objectives and procedures required for effective implementation of future plans involving art, culture and history.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable City Council mandates and other administration and fiscal oversight responsibilities as needed.
- Research, identify and seek new and alternative funding sources for the arts and history.
$86,745.00 – $143,130.00 Annually
For more information, visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/rockville/jobs/3808832/arts-culture-history-program-manager