The Copywriter is responsible for producing engaging, clear text for different advertising channels such as the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra’s website, print ads, emails, direct mail pieces, broadcast messaging, and digital advertisements. Additional duties include researching orchestra keywords and proofreading for accuracy and quality. A creative copywriter who is dedicated to crafting excellent original content will join a marketing and communications department that works cross-departmentally with fundraising, education, and artistic teams.
Specific Areas of focus include working in collaboration with BSO colleagues to better understand project expectations, produce content with the needs of the campaign, participate in the brainstorming process, and conduct research to develop or support writing. This position is also heavily involved with assisting with other creative and content processes, such as proofing, campaign building, and social media creation. This position will be measured by timely execution, content quality, and accuracy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creating and editing original copy that is accurate, well-researched, and department needs and deadlines.
- Conduct kick-off meetings to understand content goals and campaign needs.
- Conduct industry and target market audience research to formulate ideas or support writing.
- Assisting in other aspects of the creative or research processes to create cohesive, accurate content
- Writing clear and error-free content that reflects the BSO’s voice
- Meeting with cross-departmental colleagues to understand their message goals
- Proposing copy concepts for emails, direct mailers, and other print advertisements.
- Interpreting creative direction and technical information and turning them into persuasive copy concepts
- Working with the marketing and communications team to edit and modify the copy to meet BSO content expectations
- Participating in the planning and execution of email marketing campaigns
- Proofread emails for clarity, grammar, and spelling
- Sending out weekly updates on deadlines and progress to the SVP, Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, as well as the Senior Director of Marketing
- Manage the content collection, creation, and review process of all emails, and advertisement copy
- Keeping up with the latest content writing practices and industry/marketing trends
- Assisting in content creation for email distribution
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CAPABILITIES
- Proven work experience as a copywriter
- An ability to work under tight deadlines
- Proficiency with content management systems
- Knowledge of keyword research
- Ability to convey multiple messages: instructional, informational, persuasive, and transactional
- Excellent written communication and copywriting skills
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrated superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate creativity, an innovative spirit, and be able to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft programs, including but not limited to Excel, Outlook, and Word.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present effectively internally and externally and an ability to proofread for grammar, spelling, and punctuation with a high degree of accuracy.
- Schedule flexibility and willingness to work some nights and weekends as needed.
- Direct experience with a symphony orchestra and/or performing arts presenter highly preferred. A passion for and working knowledge of classical music plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Competitive salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Hybrid Work Schedule available, depending on position requirements
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
For more information, visit: https://www.bsomusic.org/job/copywriter/