Job Title: Director of Artistic Operations
Reports To: Executive Director, works closely with Artistic Director and Conductor(s)
Supervises: Artistic Production, Librarian
Key Relationships: Executive Director, Artistic Director, Librarian, Players Committee, Academy & Community Outreach Associate Director
The Director of Artistic Operations is a senior member of the ASO Team and a key figure for the successful execution of the ASO’s 5-Year Plan (2022-2026). The Director of Artistic Operations is responsible for carrying out all provisions of the CBA, including the scheduling and production of all orchestra events (concerts, rehearsals, run-outs, tours, recordings, contract services, guest artists, side-by-side performances, etc.). The Director of Artistic Operations functions as the personnel manager and the liaison between the musicians and the rest of the Annapolis Symphony Orchestra.
Compensation: $60,000 to $70,000 annual salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Annapolis Symphony offers a competitive benefits package to its employees, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance; sick days and paid annual vacation.
Location: Annapolis, Maryland.
_ _ _
A strategic thinker who feels comfortable questioning the status quo, the Director of Artistic Operations is a clear communicator, practical thinker, and active listener, and possesses a high level of critical thinking, flexibility, and accountability. The Director of Artistic Operations initiates conversations about the future, including the ways in which the ASO can bring socially, economically, and culturally diverse communities together.
Planning, Execution and Anticipation
- Develops and executes annual concert production budgets, operations and logistics plans.
- Develops long-term operational planning including repair and replacement of assets.
- Develops, maintains and distributes performance schedules for all performances, including main programs, community concerts, workshops, education and touring.
- Actively pursues strategic partnerships and alliances with other mission-compatible organizations that leverage future expansion of programs, diversity of audiences, and inclusivity of community.
- Communicates effectively and regularly with others to ensure timely response to concert production scheduling deadlines and technical needs.
- Coordinates artist involvement in marketing, promotional and digital initiatives.
- Administers and secures music rights approvals for all productions, broadcasts and all applicable media.
- Constantly vigilant, honing their ability to anticipate by scanning the environment for signals of change.
- Talks regularly to ASO clients, suppliers, and other partners to understand their challenges.
- Looks at other industries and examines actions taken.
- Monitors and evaluates operational processes and develops new and revised methods and procedures as appropriate.
- Uses scenario planning to imagine various futures and prepare for the unexpected.
Concert Productions, Operations & Logistics
Oversees and manages all concerts/performances operations backstage; works closely with Box Office & Marketing team members to coordinate front of house, concessions, hospitality, security, venue(s) engineering and parking.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Maryland Hall, Strathmore and other venues as needed.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other resident companies.
- Verifies that all ASO performances are managed in compliance with the CBA, codes, ordinances, regulations, laws, and other requirements.
- Plans and administers all concert production activities of the orchestra, including facility and equipment rental, staging requirements, venue parking, and other logistical arrangements.
- Prepares the orchestra’s production schedule by working with the Music Director and Executive Director to achieve artistic goals while maximizing services for financial benefit and upholding the requirements of the CBA.
- Supervises orchestra setup for rehearsals and concerts and coordinates with appropriate staff regarding special setup requirements.
- Secures guest artist hospitality and transportation as required.
- Assists as required to execute on-site artist logistics during rehearsals and concerts.
- Coordinates production requirements, timings, and special needs for broadcasts and/or live-streaming.
Personnel Management & Guest Artists
- Communicates effectively and regularly with the players committee, musicians and guest artists to ensure timely response to concert production scheduling deadlines, safety and technical needs.
- Verifies that all ASO performances are managed in compliance with the CBA, and if needed, takes a proactive approach to work out situations not included in the CBA.
- Prepares and maintains musicians’ contracts, payroll and other records; as well as scheduling of musicians, hiring of substitute and extra musicians, and coordination of auditions.
- Secures and coordinates all guest artist arrangements including contracts, hotel, travel, catering and hospitality, and fully executes terms of artist rider in this regard as assigned.
- Reviews and executes artist contracts and tech riders for cost containment and feasibility and make recommendations for negotiations; ensure compliance with mutually agreed upon contracts for guest artists/conductors.
- Obtains rehearsal orders from Music Director and distributes to appropriate parties in a timely and efficient manner.
- Coordinates the payment of all fees related to guest artists, orchestra soloists and other non-payroll performers related to performances.
- Coordinates auditions among all parties involved in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manages tours, works closely with services providers.
Visit https://bit.ly/3zePs71 for more details.