The Director of Bands is responsible for the orchestration and coordination of all facets of the band program that supports student growth and learning, athletics, and university representation. With specific responsibility for the SHOWTIME Marching Band, Wind Symphony and Pep Band, the Director of Bands has an active interface with the Department of Music faculty and is expected to be in service to the Chadwick A. Boseman College of Fine Arts and to the University. The Director of Bands will maintain a regional, national, and international profile through scholarship and creative activities in the wind band field, will demonstrate a commitment to performing repertoire that is diverse, and will stretch the cultural, artistic, and aesthetic range of performance experiences to which students are exposed.
Supervising band members, undergraduate and graduate assistants and administrative staff.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
Internal contacts may include senior administrators, faculty, students and staff. External contacts may include vendors, consultants and the general public.
In ensuring the coordination, quality, and symmetry of the university band program the Director among others, has the following specific duties:
- Leads a robust and dynamic band program to represent Howard University.
- Provides artistic leadership, curricular and development of band skills for band members to enhance overall performance.
- Ability to schedule and execute all phases of performance preparation that attends to the needs of students and the ultimate performance product.
- Prepares and executes all phases of a marching band of observable excellence in both sight and sound.
- Provides overall leadership of the bands full and part-time staff and their responsibilities including band arranging, field show design, and program development.
- Develops strategies that effectively use scholarships and fundraising to achieve enrollment goals.
- Fosters structures, behaviors, and discipline that enhance student perseverance to achieve a quality band program.
- Executes a recruitment strategy that delivers an appropriately sized and quality marching band.
- Manages band program participation in on-campus events and programs, large-scale traditions, and off-campus events.
- Plans and implements a summer band campus experience, regular rehearsal/practice schedule, and performance schedule.
- Collaborates with Campus Partners including Athletics, Admissions, Student Affairs, and others to contribute to the student life experience.
- Provides administrative leadership for the band program by serving as a good steward of university assets and managing the band budget, instruments, equipment, uniforms, practice facility, etc.
- Approximately 60 percent of time is spent as Music Director and 40 percent of time is administrative.
- Models professional and personal behaviors that further the interest of the band program and the University.
- Recruit prospective students to Howard University and into the band program through high school recruitment visits, participation in recruitment events, and consistent outreach to students and band directors regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Host on-campus high school band competitions and summer camps.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
For more information, visit: https://howard.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/HU/job/Lulu-Vere-Childers-Hall/Director-of-Bands_JR103981-1