Sandy Spring Museum is a private, independently-operated museum located between Washington, DC and Baltimore. The museum supports community-driven cultural arts and educational programs to build a sense of place, and serves as a catalyst for community-building by facilitating opportunities for creative engagement. SSM is also the state-designated Regional Folklife Center of Montgomery County. The museum is in a sustained period of growth, tripling in size during the last ten years. The museum operates a budget of $1+ million and employs 4 full-time and 9 part-time employees.
The Finance Manager leads the day-to-day accounting operations, with functional responsibility for accounting, accounts payable and receivable, payroll, and grants administration. Responsibilities also include production of timely financial reports; proper maintenance of accounting records; accurate processing of financial transactions; and administration of a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and adhere to grants management standards. Compliance with deadlines is a critical requirement of this position.
Accounting & Banking:
- Maintain system of accounts and keep books and records on all transactions and assets.
- Manage, oversee, and process accounts payable, revenue and expenses, fixed assets, cash, bank reconciliations, and allocations.
- Ensure that all financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best practices related to transaction processing.
- With executive director, draft annual budget.
- Administer monthly payroll; serve as primary point of contact for employee questions and payroll vendor.
- Lead all banking activities, including cash reconciliation, deposits and withdrawals, and line of credit.
- Perform month-end closing procedures and maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Maintain agreement/contract files with vendors with ongoing relationships to ensure compliance.
- Manage all insurance policies and certificates for the organization.
Analysis & Reporting:
- Prepare and analyze accurate monthly financial and management reports, including income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and cash flow.
- Manage grants – reporting, remittance requests, compliance, reconciliation.
- Coordinate the preparation of financial information for the annual report.
- Support funding proposals, including assisting with budgets and providing supporting documents.
Auditing & Taxes:
- Maintain all records related to invoices, debit card payments and bank reconciliations to serve as support for the 990 tax filing and annual audit
- Assist in coordinating the preparation of the draft audited financial statements.
- Prepare tax and registration filings.
- Support auditors in preparing the Form 990 and prepare the Functional Expense Statement.
- Manage monthly membership renewal and tracking
For more details, visit: https://www.sandyspringmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Finance-Manager.pdf