VisArts, with the support of the City of Rockville’s Department of Recreation and Parks and the Maryland State Arts Council, is seeking a professional public artist to create a site-specific mural design using themes and ideas from community stakeholders. The planning grant is for developing a design; the intention is to apply for an implementation grant from the State of Maryland in late 2023. The purpose of the mural is to beautify the exterior wall facing the playground of the Lincoln Park Community Center and to celebrate the community’s past, present, and future.
The Lincoln Park community dates to 1891, when a Union veteran started selling quarter-acre lots to aspiring Black homeowners. Today, Lincoln Park is one of the most diverse communities in Rockville, with residents from the Philippines, El Salvador, Ethiopia, and China. Lincoln Park has evolved, but its rich history has endured and is celebrated by an active community. This project seeks to celebrate that history while embracing the culture and history of its newer residents.
The community center is an active facility hosting classes, camps, recreation programs, and a large after school program.
This Request for Qualifications is open to artists living within Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC.
- Three artists selected to submit their mural designs to the Artist Selection Committee will each receive $600.
- The artist recommended by the Artist Selection Committee to present their design to the community stakeholders and city staff will receive an additional $500. The artist selected shall be required to collaborate with VisArts staff in the writing of the implementation grant with regards to artist fees, materials and timetable.
- VisArts will lead robust outreach to the Lincoln Park community and will host public meetings to solicit styles, ideas, and themes for the project.
- Homeowner associations, community center staff, facility users, houses of worship, and schools will be invited to participate.
- VisArts will create an online survey to allow individuals to participate in the process.
- VisArts will bring together an Artist Selection Committee to review applicants’ portfolios and select finalists. The committee will be comprised of stakeholders who represent the community as well as the City of Rockville.
- Up to three finalists will be selected to develop more detailed proposals, including images and a narrative, following review of artists’ submissions and portfolios.
- VisArts will share the results of the online survey and information gathered from prior community meetings with finalists.
- VisArts will convene a public meeting to introduce the finalists and give the community the opportunity to provide additional feedback.
- The Artist Nomination Committee will recommend one artist to be awarded the mural project, pending funding availability.
- The selected artist will attend a community meeting to present the design chosen by the Artist Nomination Committee.
- Request for Qualifications deadline: September 22, 2023
- Finalists notified by: September 29, 2023
- Presentation of proposals to Artist Nomination Committee: October 31, 2023
- Opportunities for community feedback on three proposals by: November 1, 2023
- Selection of final design by Artist Nomination Committee: November 8, 2023
- Presentation of final design and award for the mural project to community, city staff, and elected officials: Mid November 2023
- Implementation grant submitted to State of Maryland: December 15, 2023
- Notification of funding availability: Spring 2024
- Planning, design, and community engagement: Summer 2024
- Installation process: Fall 2024
- Ribbon cutting: Fall 2024
Timing is subject to change, based on funding availability and approval process.
ARTIST QUALIFICATION SUBMISSIONS MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED BY 11:59 PM EST on Friday, September 22, 2023
All materials must be submitted online in accordance with the instructions provided below. Hand-delivered or mailed submissions won’t be accepted. Only online submissions will be considered for review.
For more information, visit: https://visarts.submittable.com/submit