There are no recent bookmarks.
POSITION: Properties Supervisor
POSITION TYPE: Full-time
REPORTS TO: Director of Production
The Properties Supervisor is a Department Head position within the Production Department reporting to the Director of Production. Primary responsibilities include: Working closely with the Scenic Designer and Director to determine the prop needs for each production, managing OTC’s props artisan; building and procuring props and furniture for OTC’s year round 9-show season and National Players touring company, plus specialty items to be determined in the planning process, working with the director and stage manager to support the rehearsal process, recruiting, training, and mentoring OTC’s annual Props Apprentice, managing and maintaining OTC’s furniture and prop stock, and managing and working within show as well as annual budgets.
Core functional areas and responsibilities include:
1. Work closely with the Director, Scenic Designer, and Stage Manager to determine the props, furniture, and dressing needs of each production of OTC’s season.
2. Work with the Director and Stage Manager to provide properties support for the rehearsal process.
3. Participate in the recruitment, training, and evaluation of OTC’s annual Properties Apprentice. Provide guidance to the apprentice on their capstone project.
4. Manage and maintain OTC’s furniture and props stock.
5.Cultivate rental and loan relationships with theaters and other organizations in the area
6. Work closely with the Production Office to effectively manage show budgets and annual budgets.
7. Work closely with the Director of Production to identify potential Properties Department improvements, both long and short term.
8. Work cooperatively with all Production Departments on schedule, shared resources, and with the common goal of producing the best theatre possible for our audience.
9. Work cooperatively on all special projects as assigned by the Director of Production.
10. Attend Rehearsals, Technical Rehearsals and Previews as necessary
11. Determine allocation of duties and promote skill advancement/learning for the prop shop crew team
12. Hire and oversee freelance labor as needed to meet deadlines
13. Maintain the day-to-day schedule and deadlines in the shop
14. Assess costs and oversee/manage assigned budget for materials and labor.
15. Oversee the shopping, purchasing, construction, painting and finishing of all props as needed, including hand props, furniture, furnishings and set directions for all productions, while while also maintaining high standards of excellence in quality and execution
16. Proof all working design drawings and show requirements
17. Plan and supervise the construction, load-in, set dressing, tech, run and strike of all productions
SKILLS AND VALUES REQUIRED
– Investment in OTC’s Mission, Vision and Values, and its Statement on Social Justice and Becoming Anti-Racist.
– Previous experience in theatre or other similar live events
– Demonstrated leadership skills, experience working with designers, and a strong understanding of other areas of production
– Experience in supervising a team
– Knowledge of Design and period styles, theatrical terms and practices to develop accurate and precise props and set dressing
– Strong organizational, research, budgeting, and labor management skills
– Effective communication skills – written, oral, and visual
– Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and diplomacy skills
– Ability to work productively under time pressures and meet deadlines
– A vast working knowledge of furniture construction and prop building techniques
– Working knowledge of soft goods and upholstery techniques
– Experience with MIG welding and metal fabrication techniques
– Aptitude and eagerness to learn new skills and processes necessary to manage varying projects
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
– Ability to manage expenditures and budgets
– Ability to create schedules and meet deadlines
– Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Quickbooks and Google Suite
– Experience: Minimum of three years of progressively more challenging positions within the Properties field.
– Physical Requirements: Able to lift 50 lbs., as well as climb ladders and stairs.|
– Time Requirements: Full-time position, with occasional evening and weekend work requirements.
Compensation and benefits: Annual Salary of $50,000, Health Insurance, paid vacation, life insurance, FSA, 403B