BlackRock Center for the Arts, the leading venue for the performing and visual arts in Upper
Montgomery County, Maryland provides the community with the highest-level performances, free
gallery exhibitions, arts education classes, and offers a summer camp in a welcoming setting close to home. BlackRock Center for the Arts brings inspiring performing and visual arts experiences to diverse audiences and young aspiring artists in a welcoming and intimate setting, providing opportunities to explore, celebrate and engage in the arts.
BlackRock is currently seeking talented & motivated individuals that share a passion and commitment to arts education (music, theater, visual arts, & dance) to assist in leading our Youth Art Academy Summer Camps: Performing Arts Camp, Arts Journeys, Sports Meets the Arts, Broadway at BlackRock and Counselor in Training. Youth Art Academy programs run:
- June 21, 2021 through August 19, 2022
- 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
- Before and After Care Programs Available
A mandatory staff meeting and training will be scheduled the week prior to the camp start date.
The Teaching Artist develops and plans projects/activities/routines and leads the implementation with campers to produce a final product in their artistic discipline. The Teaching Artist must collaboratively plan to weave the theme or the elements of production into a multi-disciplinary arts program that culminates with a performance or showcase to a live audience.
The Teaching Artist will also support Counselors in Training in developing leadership skills to support campers throughout the day. Teaching Artists must possess teaching experience and hold credentials in one of the following areas of expertise/art form: theater, music, visual arts, or dance.
The Teaching Artist will report directly to Camp Director and work closely alongside the Education
Manager, Director of Facilities, Technical Director, Patron Services and Chief Program Officer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Developing programming that will engage youth and inspire love and appreciation for the arts: theater, visual art, music, and dance.
- The Teaching Artist will be tasked with planning daily activities based on Maryland State
Voluntary Arts standards to align themes to daily activities that thread through each
- The Teaching Artist will consistently collaborate with BlackRock leadership and staff, including a weekly meeting to update, develop, and implement the program
- The Teaching Artist will support the implementation of the Counselor in Training
- The Teaching Artist will adhere and lead programming within the guidelines of Camp Handbook for Campers and Staff.
Implementing safety protocols.
- Teaching Artist will be knowledgeable of and adhere to all safety protocols.
- Teaching Artist is responsible for the implementation of daily activities and CITs on all
- Teaching Artist is responsible for ensuring that campers follow safety protocols.
Communicating with campers’ parents/guardians as well as with BlackRock Staff.
- Teaching Artist to communicate as necessary to camper families
- Teaching Artist will demonstrate outstanding communication skills, using clear, concise, and professional language when interacting with others.
- Teaching Artist will implement daily schedules, drop-off and pick-up procedures including Covid-19 safety protocols to all stakeholders.
Fostering an environment of excellence and inclusion in a safe “arts-for-all” environment.
- The Teaching Artist will be a part of the BlackRock community and will use their presence
to engage the camp families, staff, and community at large.
- The Teaching Artist will embrace camp in a way that aligns to the BlackRock vision and
- The Teaching Artist will be always on-site except any approved absences, acquiring a sub
and providing plans for absences.
Other Job Duties:
- Develop materials lists adhering to budget allocation.
- Work closely with and understand facilities and proper usage and guidelines for camp use.
- Implement daily camper schedule.
- Observe the peer culture to diagnose problems and implement solutions as necessary.
- Follow procedures for handling all difficulties related to health, behavior, and other
problems and report incidents to Camp Director. Develop behavior plans and programs, as
- Monitor and ensure appropriate student behavior and adherence to camp rules and regulations.
- Handle emergency situations in conjunction with facilities, Camp Director, Education
Manager by documented incident reporting.
- Assess the overall program to see if there are any changes that need to be made for
- Other duties as assigned.
Visit https://www.blackrockcenter.org/careers for more information.