Visitor Experience Supervisor
Director of Visitor Services
An Introduction to Glenstone Museum
Founded with the mission to seamlessly integrate art, architecture, and landscape, Glenstone is an art museum located on over 300 acres of rolling hills and unspoiled woodland in Potomac, Maryland. The museum, opened in 2006 and expanded in 2018, offers nearly 60,000 square feet of exhibition space to showcase its collection of more than 1300 works by 200 contemporary artists. With its expansion, Glenstone now has the ability to welcome 100,000 visitors each year, and admission is always free.
The Visitor Experience Supervisor is a member of the Visitor Experience (VEXP) management team responsible for overseeing daily visitor-facing functions and members of the Guide team, ensuring Glenstone delivers a positive and meaningful experience. Reporting to the Director of Visitor Services, the role will encourage high performance, visitor centric practices and work closely with all members of the management team to improve and innovate visitor operations. As a supervisor managing a team of Guides, daily functions include managing work schedules, performance management, hiring, training, onboarding, and ensuring the Guide team is equipped with the resources needed to fulfil their role. The VEXP Supervisor will actively engage with visitors regularly, and work closely with other visitor-facing roles in Security, Grounds, Facilities, and Café to ensure organizational consistency and a seamless experience.
- This is a full-time (up to 40 hrs./week) salaried position and is exempt from over-time.
- Work Schedule:
- Wednesday – Sunday with varying starting and end times. Typically starting times will be between 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. with ending times between 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. depending on operational need. Start and end times are subject to change with notice based upon operational need and season.
- Glenstone is currently open to the public Thursday-Sunday from 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The ideal candidate possesses a…
- strong desire to serve others in a genuine manner.
- sincere enthusiasm for engaging with diverse associates and visitors.
- desire to be part of a team that takes initiative in the best interest of the visitor and the organization.
- appreciation for art, architecture, nature, and sustainability.
- ability to supervise a diverse group of Guides and provide performance feedback in the moment.
- Effective and clear communication style and excellent organizational skills.
- dependable, flexible, self-motivated approach to their work.
- positive, optimistic attitude even in the face of adversity.
- ability to collaborate with peers, other staff associates and external professionals, both as an individual and team member.
- desire and ability to quickly learn about Glenstone’s collection, regenerative practices, architecture, history, and operating procedures.
- Daily oversight of the Guide team and visitor operations.
- Monitoring and approving payroll, making daily schedule changes, and writing annual performance evaluations for members of the Guide team.
- Review applications, conduct interviews, and promote and hire Guides.
- Perform daily show readiness walks.
- Make numerous daily rounds to engage with Guides, fellow associates, and visitors to model meaningful visitor experience engagements.
- Achieve proficiency in training related to Glenstone’s mission, history, collections, and campus.
- Assist in training and onboarding new Guides.
- Ensure all Guides adhere to the exceptional visitor experience standards that are a hallmark of Glenstone.
- Regularly meet with direct reports and provide positive and constructive feedback regarding their performance.
- Use progressive discipline when necessary.
- Perform Leader on Duty (“LOD”) responsibilities as needed or when scheduled including leading morning meetings, listening to and responding to radio transmissions, and being the site point of contact for fellow associates from various departments during operating hours.
- Respond to emails from the public in a timely manner.
- Assist in answering incoming phone calls.
- Respond to associate and visitor situations that require management assistance or oversight.
- Assist in the success of special events and programming.
- Learn and maintain proficiency in all software platforms utilized by the Visitor Experience Department.
- Participate in on-going training with other supervisors and managers at Glenstone.
- Collaborate with the Curatorial department to anticipate exhibition changes and plan training sessions accordingly.
- Work weekends.
Visit https://www.glenstone.org/about/careers/?gnk=job&gni=8a7883ac879c5eca0187a4438cfd2025&lang=en for more information.