Guide to Children's
Winter – Spring 2020
· Image/Logo Dimensions: 6 inches wide by 4 inches tall, (CMYK FULL COLOR JPG)
· Image filename should be the name of your organization
Address, City, MD Zip
www.yourwebsitehere.com or 000-000-0000
[PLEASE ENTER BOTH WEBSITE AND PHONE]
[SELECT YOUR GENRE BUTTONS ALPHABETIZED]
Dance, History, Media Arts, Music, Theater, Visual Arts, Writing/Literature.
Your two-sentence description of your elementary aged arts and humanities offerings here. Highlight what you have to offer kids and families.
[PLEASE CHOOSE FROM THESE HEADINGS. YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE ALL HEADINGS]
– Start bullet points
– Start bullet points
– Start bullet points
– Start bullet points
– Start bullet points
– Start bullet points
– Start bullet point/s
At Creative Adventures, we believe that children need more opportunities for creative exploration. Our program introduces them to classic and contemporary artists from around the world. They will experiment with a variety of techniques and mediums. We inspire them to create with fresh eyes and encourage them to push their limits and most of all, to have fun! We bring this extraordinary after-school program to your school for a six-week workshop series each fall and spring, presented as 90 minute classes.
• Summer Camps will be run at Strathmore Mansion
5301 Tuckerman Lane, N. Bethesda, MD 20852
900 Wayne Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910
www.levinemusic.org | 301-897-5100 | 301-328-5335
TWO Montgomery County locations: The Music Center at
Strathmore and the Silver Spring Library! Levine Music offers outstanding music instruction to students of all ages, interests, and skill levels. Spring semester begins Feb 4.
• Classical and contemporary instruction in 22 instruments and voice
• Chamber Music
• Musical Theater
• First Music (4 mos+)
• Jazz, Rock, Improvisation
• Music Therapy
• Music Technology
• Suzuki Programs (Violin, Viola, Cello, Piano, Flute, Guitar)
• Music & Arts Day Camp – Join us on a musical journey as we play instruments, sing, dance, listen to stories, play games, create art projects, and make friends in a fun three-week camp with the area’s top professional teachers.
Programs throughout Montgomery County, MD
www.montgomerycountyparks.org | 301-495-2595
Dig up ancient artifacts, take a train ride, perform a quadruple jump on ice, marvel at raptors, discover whimsical gardens…all without leaving Montgomery County. Montgomery Parks offers a variety of activities, educational classes, camps and events that inspire fun.
• Summer Camps Jun. – Aug.
• Registration begins Jan. 21
• Archaeology Camp, Theatre on Ice, Nature Detectives, Film Camp
• Raptor Festivals
• Maple Sugaring Days
• Black History Month
• Wings of Fancy Live Butterfly Exhibit
Artworks Fine Art Studio
7740 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda, MD 20814
10020 Falls Road, Potomac, MD 20854
www.artworksclasses.com | 301-656-0044
Artworks is dedicated to teaching the fundamentals of fine art. The focus is on drawing and painting while, at the same time, building self-esteem. Artworks uses a unique step-by-step process which helps produce beautiful works of art. Classes take place in a highly creative, instructive environment. Daily classes are offered for students ages 3+. Two locations: Bethesda and Potomac.
• Toddler Classes (ages 3-4)
• Pre-K Classes (ages 5-6)
• Standard Classes (ages 6-12)
• Spring Break Camp
• School’s Out Day Camps
• Summer Camp (ages 6-12)
• Teen Camp (ages 13-18)
• Receive $20 off a party of your choice by mentioning this flyer!
CityDance School & Conservatory
5301 Tuckerman Lane, North Bethesda, MD 20852
1570 East Jefferson Street, Rockville, MD 20852
www.citydance.net | 240-242-3646
CityDance offers a wide array of styles – from ballet and jazz to Flamenco and Sri Lankan dance, taught by a world-class faculty.
• Ages 3 to 19
• Spring classes run from Jan. 20 – May 24, 2020
• All students get the exciting chance to dance in the culminating Children and Youth Concert on the main stage at Strathmore Music Center in May.
• Summer camps run from June 15 – Aug. 28, 2020 (ages 4-14)
• CityDance’s themed children and youth camps offer learning and fun through culture and creativity.
• Campers take daily classes in ballet, modern, jazz, hip hop and world dance forms and learn challenging choreography in multiple styles.
4908 Auburn Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20814
www.imaginationstage.org | 301-280-1660
Founded in 1979, Imagination Stage offers year-round professional theatre for young audiences and classes in acting, musical theatre, dance, and filmmaking.
• Spring Classes
• Registration opens Nov. 13
• Classes start Jan. 21
• The Play-Off – Dec. 14
• After-school and weekends (ages 1-18)
• Summer Camps, June – Aug. (ages 4-18)
• Summer Camp Sampler, Jan. 4
40th Anniversary Lerner Family Theatre Season:
• Zomo the Rabbit: A Hip-Hop Creation Myth opens Feb. 8, in repertory
• Thumbelina opens Feb. 15, in repertory 40th Anniversary Reeve Theatre Season (ages 1-5)
• Mouse on the Move opens Jan. 11
• Paper Dreams opens Mar. 21
International School of Music
North: 11325 Seven Locks Rd #255 Potomac, MD 20854
South: 4701 Sangamore Rd., L-03 Bethesda MD 20816
www.ismw.org | North: 301-365-5888 | South: 301-320-4400
The International School of Music provides students of all ages & abilities with nurturing music instruction in all instruments and voice. Fun performances and recitals as well as optional certificate programs are available for those interested. Preschool music classes are available for toddlers & preschoolers. Music classes are available in classical, jazz, pop, rock, etc. to students of all ages.
• Private lessons in Piano, Guitar, Voice, Drums, Violin, Viola, Cello,
Flute, Saxophone, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, Bass, Harp, etc.
• Toddler & Preschooler Music Classes ongoing
• Flute Choir, Guitar Trio, Piano Trio, String Quartet
• Student Recitals, June 6-21
• Kennedy Center Student Honors Recital, June 26
• 50% off Registration before Feb. 15
5301 Tuckerman Lane, North Bethesda, MD 20852 www.strathmore.org/kids | 301-581-5100
At Strathmore, kids can engage at every stage! Visit the Mansion or AMP for interactive family fun or enjoy a performance in the worldclass Music Center.
• Step Afrika! Step Xplosion, Jan. 12
• Manual Cinema’s No Blue Memories: The Life of Gwendolyn Brooks, Jan. 24
• Drum TAO, Feb. 7
• Invoke String Quartet Family Concerts, Feb. 22*
• Wow in the World Pop Up Party, Feb. 29 – two Shows
• Lea Salonga, Apr. 17
• Igudesman & Joo with Maryland Classic Youth Orchestras of Strathmore, May 3
• BSO Music Box at AMP, Jan. 25, Mar. 28, May 9
• Sensory-Friendly Backstage Tours, Feb. 8 & Open Rehearsals Mar. 11 & May 27*
• Saturday Family Jam Sessions, Feb. 29 – Apr. 25*
• Kids Art Talk & Tours in English & Spanish thru June 20
• Summer Art Camps for Kids (grades 1-6)
• Use promo code MOCO for select $20 tickets to Igudesman & Joo on May 3!
Arts on the Green & Arts Barn
311 Kent Square Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20878
www.gaithersburgmd.gov | 301-258-6394
Celebrate the performing and visual arts at Arts on the Green and the Arts Barn. Featuring a Just for Families performance series and visual arts/theatre classes for all ages to ignite your imagination and inspire your creativity! New easy, one-step online ticket purchase and class registration.
• Classes, camps and workshops in the visual arts and performing arts (ages 15 months & up)
• The Great Zucchini & Magical Veggies Workshop, Jan. 26
• Stories of Dr. Seuss, Feb. 17
• Peter and the Wolf and Other Tales, Mar. 29
• Miss Nelson is Missing! Apr. 18-26
• Magic and Fantasy Weekend, Apr. 3-5
• Bring this flyer to any performance listed above and receive two free snacks!
Metropolitan Ballet Theatre & Academy
220 Perry Parkway, Suite 8, Gaithersburg, MD 20877
25530 Gateway Center Drive, Suite 200, Clarksburg, MD 20871
www.mbtdance.org | 301-762-1757
Providing exceptional dance education since 1989. Academy classes, professional performance opportunities, and community outreach activities make MBT unique. Enrolling in two locations!
• Ballet, Modern, Jazz, Hip Hop, Tap, Adult
• Ages 2 – Adult
• Academic Year: Sept. 3 – June 15, plus summer programming
• Now registering for Summer 2020
• Scholarships available
• Summer Full-Day Camps/Intensives, Half-Day Camps/Workshops, Evening/Weekend Classes
• La Boutique Fantasque, The Magic Toyshop – Robert E. Parilla Performing Arts Center, Montgomery College, Rockville, Mar. 21-22
• Stories of Dr. Seuss presented by the Metropolitan Ballet
Ensemble – Gaithersburg Arts Barn in partnership with the City of Gaithersburg, Feb. 17
• The Magic Toyshop Tea Parties – MBT Studios, Mar. 8
• Receive $10 off your registration fee – mention this guide!
• Call to schedule a free trial class
BlackRock Center for the Arts
12901 Town Commons Drive, Germantown, MD 20874
www.blackrockcenter.org | 301-528-2260
BlackRock Center for the Arts provides a variety of performances, exhibitions, and education programs for people of all ages in Upper Montgomery County.
• Winter classes begin Jan. 6, Spring classes begin Mar. 23
Performances – Kids Under 12 Free
• Five Spoons by Happy Theater, Jan. 25-26, Feb. 1-2
• The Giggling, Wiggling Bookworm by Story Tapestries, Mar. 5, 7
• Nest by Happy Theater, Mar. 14, 21, 28
• Disney’s Beauty and the Beast Jr. by Next Generation Arts Council, Mar. 20-22
• A Dance Across Cultures by Story Tapestries, May 3, 7
• Performing and visual arts summer camps, Jun.-Aug.
Adventure Theatre MTC
Theatre: 7300 MacArthur Blvd., Glen Echo, MD 20812
Academy: 837-D Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
www.adventuretheatre-mtc.org | 301-634-2270 | 301-251-5766
Educating and inspiring new generations of theater artists and audiences with exceptional theatrical experiences.
• Spring acting, singing, and dance classes begin Feb. 10
• After-school and weekends (grades K-12) Performances
• The Snowy Day and Other Tales by Ezra Jack Keats opens Feb. 14
• Lyle the Crocodile opens Apr. 24
• Madagascar – A Musical Adventure opens June 19
• Tickets $20-25. Discounts available for field trips, birthday parties, and scouting groups
• Pre-purchase 10 tickets for the 2019-2020 season and save an average $72 with a Flexpass. Use them anytime!
• Call 301-251-5766 to ask about current Academy scholarships (grades K-12)
The Puppet Co. Playhouse
Glen Echo Park – 7300 MacArthur Blvd., Glen Echo, MD 20812
www.thepuppetco.org | 301-634-5380
For more than 3 decades the Puppet Co. has told stories that have stood the test of Time, stories mothers and fathers have told their children for generations, stories that will be told for generations to come. This season, the Puppet Co. Playhouse will share four of their audience favorites that literally hundreds of thousands of DMV children have seen and loved.
• Rapunzel, Jan. 17 – Feb. 16
• Beauty and the Beast, Feb. 21 – Mar. 29
• Hansel and Gretel, Apr. 3 – May 10
• Peter and the Wolf, May 15 – Jun. 28
Tickets $12.00, Group Rates Available.
Showtimes: Fri. at 11:00 am Sat. & Sun. at 11:30 am
Washington Conservatory of Music
One Westmoreland Circle, Bethesda, MD 20815
7300 MacArthur Blvd., Glen Echo, MD 20812
www.washingtonconservatory.org | 301-320-2770
One of 15 nationally accredited community music schools serving children, teens & adults in a nurturing environment since 1984.
An international faculty of professional artists & educators help students of all levels reach individualized musical goals. No audition necessary. Monthly student recital opportunities. Two locations.
• Private lessons (30, 45 or 60 mins.) in 25+ areas of music study. Piano, guitar, drums, voice, strings, brass, woodwinds, music theory, ear training, composition, jazz improvisation, more
• Classes & Ensembles in voice, ukulele, guitar, Irish instruments
• Suzuki String Academy (violin, cello, viola)
• Early Childhood Music (3 mos-7 yrs) weekdays & Sat.
• Summer: Mon.-Fri. 9:00am-3:00pm (ages 4-12)
• Professional & Family Concerts, Student Recitals, Master Classes, Seminars
Olney Theatre Center
2001 Olney-Sandy Spring Road, Olney, MD 20832
www.olneytheatre.org | 301-924-3400
Olney Theatre Center is an award-winning professional theatre offering parents numerous options to expose their kids to professional and affordable theatrical experiences year-round.
• Pete the Cat, Jan. 11-12 (grades K-3)
• Judy Moody and Stink, Apr. 25-26 (grades K-5)
• Sensory-friendly performances offered
• Summer STOCK Camp (Grades 4-6)
• 2 sessions: June 22 – July 3 / July 20-31
• Musical Theatre Intensive (grades 7-9)
• 1 session: July 6-17
• Before and after care available
Glorystar Children’s Chorus
Mailing Address: 15800 Crabbs Branch Way Suite 300
Rockville, MD 20855
Rehearsals: 11845 Seven Locks Road Potomac, MD 20854
www.glorystar.org | 240-277-7629
The Glorystar Children’s Chorus, in its 24th season, provides excellent choral music education to children and youth. Through a rich repertoire of Asian and Western music, GCC promotes music appreciation and builds bridges in our diverse community.
• Music education includes music theory, vocal techniques, & ear training
• Diverse multicultural choral repertoire
• Choristers, (ages 5-18), in five choral groups
• Sat. afternoons Sept.-June at Seven Locks Baptist Church
• Maryland Young Voices Festival, Mar 14
• Sing With Me – open rehearsal, May 2 (ages 5-8)
• Spring Concert at Robert E. Parilla Performing Arts Center, June 13
• $10 off a new student registration fee – just mention this flyer!
Bender JCC of Greater Washington
6125 Montrose Road, Rockville, MD 20852
www.benderjccgw.org | 301-881-0100
The Bender JCC offers enrichment classes in music, dance, and visual & literary arts for children of all ages. Everyone is welcome!
• After School Enrichment Programs: Culinary, Drawing, Painting, Ceramics and Crafts
• School of Dance: Ballet, Hip Hop, Jazz, Tap and Youth Dance Co.
• Private music instruction for a variety of instruments
• JPlay programs (crafts, music, and storytelling)
• Bender-Dosik Parenting Center
• After School programs and School Out Days (grades K-6)
• Camp JCC offers specialty camps for visual and theater arts, Applications open Dec. 3
• Family Chanukah Party & Family Fun Day
• A Winter’s Dance January
• Mount Vernon Virtuosi Chamber Orchestra for Kids, Nov. – May
• Israel Fest, May
Stone Branch School of Art
1331-M Rockville Pike, Rockville, Md. 20852
www.stonebrancharts.com | 301-294-3600
Outstanding individualized art instruction in small class groupings. Unique programs, from foundations through advanced level, fosters
confidence, self-discipline, creative and critical thinking. We are dedicated to all students achieving their personal best and being lifelong learners.
• K-12 After school/weekend classes
• Comic/ Animation/Fantasy/Digital Art/Fashion Design
• Winter /Spring Break/ Summer Camps
• Fun Family Events and Workshops
• Birthday Parties Exhibits
• Annual student exhibits in our Open Space Gallery
• Participation in Rockville Student Art Show
155 Gibbs Street, Rockville, MD 20850
www.visartscenter.org | 301-315-8200
VisArts provides a wide variety of media for students of all ages including mosaics, fused glass, painting, drawing, mixed media, ceramics and much more.
• Family Workshops
• Harvest/Winter/Spring/Summer Camps
• 1-2 week sessions June-Sept.
• Young Artists (ages 5-6)
• Artistic Adventures (ages 7-12)
• Arts, Technology, and Movement (ages 7-12)
• Teen Camp Intensives: Painting & Drawing and Ceramics
• Extended Care
CREATE Arts Center
914 Silver Spring Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910
www.createartscenter.org | 301-588-ARTS (2787)
CREATE Arts Center in downtown Silver Spring has been bringing high-quality arts programming to children for 30+ years. We offer a wide variety of arts programming.
• Art classes (ages 4-18) offered weeknights and weekends
• Drawing & Painting, Pottery, Comics & Cartooning, Mixed Media, Portfolio Prep, Art Immersion, and more!
• Art camps whenever school is out! (kindergarten through age 12)
• Camps follow calendars for MCPS, DCPS, and a variety of private/charter schools
• Fall/winter/spring art camps during holiday breaks
• Host an art birthday party at CREATE!
• Use the code ArtsGuide20 when registering and receive $15 off an art class or camp!
Lumina Studio Theatre
620 Pershing Drive Silver Spring, MD 20910
www.luminastudio.org | 301-565-2281
Lumina Studio Theatre award winning camps! Summer sizzles on stage. Actors have fun while learning acting techniques, developing character and working together towards a final performance.
• Rehearsals for the Spring production of Macbeth begin Jan. 27
• Ages 8-13
• Noir Theatre, June 22 – July 11 (age 12+)
• Quest Theatre, July 13 – August 1 (age 12+)
• Folk Tale Theatre, June 22 – July 3 (age 8-11)
• Summertime Players, July 13 – July 31 (age 9-12)
A limited number of need-based scholarships are available on a first come-first served basis.
• Macbeth May 1-3 and 8-10 at the Silver Spring Black Box Theatre
Maryland Youth Ballet
926 Ellsworth Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20910
www.marylandyouthballet.org | 301-608-2232
MYB provides exceptional training for beginning, intermediate and advanced students at one of the region’s finest schools of classical ballet. Classes offered for ages 2-adult with emphasis on love of
dance, personal enrichment, and pre-professional achievement.
• 8-week sessions (ages 2-4)
• School-year (Sept. – Jun.) for children (ages 5-19)
• Separate program for boys & young men
• Contemporary dance and modern classes (ages 9-19)
• Full-day Conservatory Classes for advanced dancers
• Music & Motion for children with physical disabilities
• Adult drop-in program, all levels, year-round
• Metro Accessible
• Summer classes, workshops, and camps in classical and contemporary ballet, modern and jazz, dance crafts, performance opportunities, and more (ages 2-19)
• Boys Ballet Summer Intensive (BBSI) in residence at MYB (ages 11-16)
• Cinderella at Montgomery College, Rockville (Apr. 4-5)
National Capital Trolley Museum
1313 Bonifant Road, Colesville, MD 20925
www.dctrolley.org | 301-384-6352
Discover the history of trolleys through age-appropriate and interactive displays which rotate throughout the year. Enhance your experience with a ride on one of our many vintage Street Cars through Northwest Branch Park.
• Trolley Rides
• Cavalcade of Cars
• Spring Break Special with Trolley Cartoons
• Field Trips
• Birthday Parties
• Private Parties
• Winter in Washington on the Trolley
• Jim Crow Washington
• Maya Angelou – Women in Transit
• Promoting Transit
Round House Theatre
Education Center: 925 Wayne Avenue, Silver Spring, MD 20910
Theatre: 4545 East West Highway, Bethesda, MD 20814
www.roundhousetheatre.org | 301-585-1225
Round House Theatre encourages students to develop their artistic voice through a multi-disciplinary approach to theatre that includes acting, design, and playmaking.
• Weekend Theatre Classes – An exciting array of classes for students during the Winter and Spring semesters in Silver Spring (grades K-8)
• Days Off! Play In A Day – Theatrical fun at the Round House Education Center when MCPS takes a day off. (grades K-5) Upcoming: Jan. 27, Apr. 6-13 & 28.
• Summer Camps – Inspire creativity, exercise imaginations, and bring stories to life! In Silver Spring and Bethesda (grades K-12)
• Free Play – FREE tickets for teens and students to Round House productions during the 2019-2020 Season
531 Dale Drive, Silver Spring, MD 20910
www.revelsdc.org | 301-587-3835
Through music, dance, drama, song and story, Washington Revels creates opportunities for all generations of performers and audiences to participate in the sharing of cultural and seasonal traditions and the joy of community celebration.
• Christmas Revels Auditions for Children & Teens, Sept. 2020
• Weekly after-school classes offered during the school year
• Year-round special-interest workshops for all ages in music, dance, drama & traditional crafts
• The Christmas Revels, a winter celebration for the whole family Dec. 2020
• Family-friendly Pub Sing Jan. 2020
• May Revels May 2020
• Parade appearances (open to all!) every Independence & Labor Day
• Family-friendly Community Sings on the 21st of each month
7117 Maple Avenue, Takoma Park MD, 20912
www.danceexchange.org | 301-270-6700
We believe creative and collaborative dancemaking can shape tomorrow’s leaders. Our youth and teen programs provide opportunities to grow artistic, community-building, and leadership skills through movement.
• Our Youth and Teen Exchange programs (ages 7-18; Thursdays afterschool) emphasize collaboration and leadership through dancemaking. Some scholarships available; multiple tuition models. No dance experience required.
• In Exploring and Making Dance camps, youth explore dance from tango to hip hop, classical to contemporary—both in the studio and out in the world. Youth will then blend what they learn into original choreography. Ages 6-10. Some scholarships available. M-F 9:30am-4:30pm (Friday until 1:00pm). Before/aftercare available.
• Spring Break Camp, Apr. 6-10
• Summer Camps: Aug. 17-21; Aug. 24-28; possible June dates TBD
• Mention ad for a Free Dance Exchange waterbottle.
7007 Carroll Avenue, Takoma Park, MD 20912
www.littleloftstudios.com | 240-292-9695
Little Loft is a neighborhood art space that offers classes, camps, workshops and open hours for children to explore the visual arts. Sewing, crafting and creative workshops for teens and adults.
• Weekly drop in play (ages 2+)
• Art Exploration classes. 6-week sessions (2-4 yrs)
• Art classes. 6-week sessions (5-7 yrs)
• School day off camps for children in (grades K-2) – see website for dates
• Winter, spring, and summer camps (grades K-2)
• Weekend and evening workshops in textiles and fiber arts
• Sewing Club (9-14 yrs)
• Art-based birthday parties with guided project (ages 3-12)
• Mention this flyer for 10% off store merchandise & art supplies