Posted: Jun 03, 2021
Carpe Diem Arts Executive Director Position Announcement
Carpe Diem Arts, Inc., a Silver Spring, Maryland-based nonprofit, is seeking a dynamic, multi-skilled, and resourceful
Executive Director beginning in the summer of 2021. The organization was incorporated in 2016, and received its
501(c)(3) status in 2017. Though Carpe Diem Arts is still a relatively small organization, we have earned widespread
recognition for the quality, diversity and integrity of our programs and for the creative partnerships that have enabled us
to broaden our reach and deepen our impact.
We serve communities predominantly in Montgomery County, Maryland and offer a wide variety of arts programs from
dance and song, to visual arts and musical instruction, to summer arts and language camps. Additionally, Carpe Diem
Arts teams with other high-quality arts organizations and leverages the power of these partnerships to do more with
Current revenues: Approximately $250,000 annually
For more information about Carpe Diem Arts, please visit https://www.CarpeDiemArts.org
For more details on the position of Executive Director, please visit: https://www.CarpeDiemArts.org/exec_dir
To apply for the position of Executive Director, please send an email to HR@CarpeDiemArts.org describing your interest
and attach your resume/CV
To engage and strengthen communities across generations and cultures through the visual, literary and performing arts,
with an emphasis on the traditional arts and on outreach to children and youth, seniors and low-income families in the
National Capital region and on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.
To help build healthy living learning communities through shared arts experiences and innovative partnerships with other
nonprofits, social service and housing agencies, while also supporting the livelihoods of master teaching and performing
artists representing diverse cultures and traditions.
Social justice, diversity, equity, inclusion, access, creativity, and joy.
Reporting to and working closely with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and
operational responsibility for Carpe Diem Arts’ staff, programs, growth, and execution of its mission. Reporting to and
working closely with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational
responsibility for Carpe Diem Arts’ staff, programs, growth, and execution of its mission.
Salary range: Mid - $50,000’s annually, negotiable, with potential incentives
NOTE: We are open to considering a part-time (minimum 25 hours) or full-time position, depending on circumstances
and transition needs.
Leadership & Management:
· Embrace and pursue the mission of the organization.
· Understand and commit to implementing our current FY strategic goals. In conjunction with the Board, update the
strategic plan to represent your vision and concepts for the future
· Collaborate closely with Carpe Diem Arts’ board of directors
· Actively engage and energize Carpe Diem Arts’ volunteers, board members, committees, and funders.
· Ensure continuing programmatic excellence and the application of rigorous program evaluation; work closely with
our CFO to realize consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems;
recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals as stated in our strategic plan.
· Work closely with our CFO to maintain our fiscal integrity; provide submissions to the Board of a proposed annual
budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
· Hire, lead, coach, develop, and retain competent, qualified staff reflecting the diversity of the community Carpe
Diem Arts serves.
· Engage the organization in Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) planning and take action, as needed, to ensure
Carpe Diem Arts has diverse representation and provides an inclusive environment to all.
· Working with our technology consultant, ensure effective systems to track our progress, finances, donors/
donations, and social media communications.
· Regularly evaluate program components and effectively communicate to the board, funders, and other
· Participate in bi-monthly board meetings.
· Expand and maintain partnerships with organizations who support the Carpe Diem Arts mission. Identify
opportunities to partner in service to the community.
· Develop and maintain relationships with Maryland State Arts Council, Arts & Humanities Council of Montgomery
County, and other national, regional and local arts organizations that provide legislative, operational and financial
support to the Arts; develop and maintain relationships with Nonprofit Montgomery and similar organizations.
Fundraising, Networking, & Communications:
· Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations with an eye for
future expansion in breadth and depth.
· Oversee all aspects of communications and branding—from web presence to external relations with the goal of
creating a stronger brand.
· Build and nurture relationships to discover new opportunities to serve our communities and garner the funding to
bring programs to fruition.
Candidate Qualifications and Skills
Required/preferred experience and qualifications include:
· Demonstrated commitment to quality arts programming and ongoing evaluation of our mission-driven nonprofit
· Some management experience, nonprofit preferred, with track record of achieving goals
· Excellent verbal and written communication
· Possess a strategic vision for the arts in our communities
· Strong public speaking ability
· Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy
· Excellent people & team-building skills
· Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff