The Baltimore Museum of Art seeks a full-time Associate Curator/Curator and Department Head of European Painting & Sculpture to work with a small curatorial staff to reconceptualize the Museum’s European Wing, with a particular emphasis on diversity and inclusion as centrally important to the narrative of European art. The successful candidate will be an out-of-the-box thinker willing to challenge convention and broaden the scope of what European art can mean for audiences in the 21st century.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Propose, research, and organize exhibitions of European painting and sculpture and coordinate rotations in the collection galleries
- Conceptualize and oversee all aspects of a new installation of the Jacobs Wing galleries that broadens the scope of the story of European art
- Serve as subject matter expert for the Museum’s rich collection of 15-18th century European painting and sculpture (except for those historic works in the Cone Collection or typically installed in the Cone Wing),
- Research and catalogue the collection, and add pertinent information to the Museum database and object files
- Supervise members of the Department, including interns/volunteers as required; and assess staffing needs for the Department
- Act as liaison for Pre-1960 Painting, Sculpture, and Graphic Arts Accessions Committee
- Pursue, research, write, and present justifications for new acquisitions (gifts, promised gifts, bequests, and purchases); maintain familiarity with the art market and network with dealers
- Conduct scholarly research and write for various publications on the BMA’s collection of European painting and sculpture
- Develop and participate in public programs and on-line initiatives to generate interest in and educate visitors about the BMA’s collection of European painting and sculpture, including giving public talks, tours, and lectures
- Cultivate donors
- Assist in fundraising for acquisitions, exhibitions, and special projects as well as write narratives for grant applications
- Ensure best possible standards in caring for the BMA’s collection of European painting and sculpture, including the negotiation of loan requests, and working closely with registrars and conservators
- Oversee various collection management projects, including the augmentation of on-line records for the BMA’s collection of European painting and sculpture
- Serve on Curatorial Strategic Plan Taskforce
- Manage department budget and other administrative duties
- Collaborate with curatorial colleagues as well as fellow staff in the Divisions of Education & Interpretation, Development, Digital Experience & Communications, and Finance & Administration
- Network with professional associations, including participating in scholarly panels and symposia as well as attending professional conferences
The Associate Curator/Curator and Department Head of European Painting & Sculpture will report to the
- Master’s degree in Art History required, PhD in Art History preferred or equivalent professional experience
- At least three to five years of previous curatorial experience in a department of European art at a museum
- Expertise in European painting and sculpture from the 15th to 18th centuries as demonstrated through exhibitions, publications, conference papers, and/or special cataloguing projects
- Ability to work collaboratively both inside and outside the institution with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Working proficiency in collection management databases, especially The Museum System
- Working proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills as well as the ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team
The BMA is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package. For this exempt position we offer medical, dental, vision, prescription, 403b retirement plan, long term disability, flexible spending account, museum and restaurant discounts, and reduced fee gym membership. We also offer accrued vacation, holidays, personal days, floating holidays, and sick days.
We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage all qualified professionals to apply. Research shows that women and individuals from underrepresented backgrounds often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that an applicant meets 100% of the qualifications for a given role. Therefore, if much of this posting describes you, then you are highly encouraged to apply for this role.
Curatorial title and salary will be commensurate with background and level of museum experience. Please send cover letter, CV/resume, and salary requirements via email to HR@artbma.org with “Curator of European Painting & Sculpture” Last Name and First Name in the subject line.
Incomplete application materials will not be accepted.
No phone calls please.