The Associate Curator & Festival Director, a unique dual role, at Tephra Institute of Contemporary Art (Tephra ICA) is responsible for assisting with the development and execution of dynamic, innovative, and high-quality visual art exhibitions that provide experiences in contemporary visual art to a broad constituency.
As Festival Director, this role is responsible for the creative direction in planning and implementing the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Festival in areas, including but not limited to managing exhibiting artists, the application and jury process, logistics, and event planning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify artists, guest curators, and developing concepts that align with the institution’s mission
- Plan and implement 1 to 2 annual gallery exhibitions for the Tephra ICA main gallery,
independently, or in tandem with Executive Director & Curator and/or guest curators
(703) 471-9242 12001 Market St #103, Reston, VA 20190 / tephraica.org
- Autonomously develop and execute 3 to 4 annual exhibitions of regional artists for the satellite gallery, Tephra ICA at Signature, with sensitivity to residential audience
- Manage exhibition budget and financials for the satellite gallery; and contribute to W.A.G.E. reporting
- Assist with gallery preparation, artist organization, and object installation, and reception desk needs
- With team support, facilitate artist talks, panel discussions, and other programming related to exhibitions
- Develop communications related to exhibitions, including but not limited to print materials, exhibition statements, press releases, and wall text
- Work closely with Advancement Officer on the overall planning, implementation, and logistics of the Northern Virginia Fine Arts Festival, with the Advancement Officer leading fundraising and marketing efforts and this role leading the artistic, creative direction
- Serve as main point of contact for interfacing with Festival artists
- Oversee and implement artist application needs and juror selection process
- Develop educational Festival activities in tandem with Education and Public Programs Manager
- Manage representation and information for 200+ exhibiting artists, including on-site logistics and personalized web presence; Manage all ongoing communications with exhibiting artists before, during, and after the event
- Provide Administrative support for budgeting exhibitions and general operations
- Contribute to grant needs including text narratives, data compilation, and budget reporting
- Coordinate with outside contractors on facility maintenance and improvements
Visit https://bit.ly/2YV1MdZ for more information.