ABOUT THE NATIONAL PHILHARMONIC
National Philharmonic engages, inspires, and unites diverse communities across the Washington, DC area through outstanding music performances and innovative education programs. *NatPhil is currently undergoing an equity transformation journey, and the following mission, vision and values will undergo a revision process anticipated for Fall 2022.
To share and amplify the power of music.
Access and Inclusion – Collaborative Creativity – Innovation – Educational Engagement – Inspirational – Connections
The Department of Learning and Engagement is responsible for designing, developing, administering, strategic planning and evaluating all life-long learning and engagement programs including youth initiatives, community partnerships, guest artist engagement and Creative Aging programs.
The Department of Learning and Engagement is led by co-directors, who work together as a team, with other departments internally and externally. This position will primarily lead the Youth Mentorship Program, Lesson Bank, and other youth initiatives while its counterpart will primarily lead the Creative Aging programs, Sphinx Futurist Program, and guest artist engagement. The ideal candidate is a capable self-starter who loves to lead initiatives, while also capable of partnering closely with colleagues to deliver on shared initiatives, like Harmonic Justice. The Co-Director of Learning and Engagement is responsible for taking an active role in equity transformation across the organization. The position shares department leadership responsibilities including supervision of all volunteers and staff involved in delivering any aspect of the programs and representing NatPhil to other arts, education, and civic institutions to promote partnerships in the community. This position reports to the President and CEO.
Time Commitment: Flexible part-time schedule of up to 30 hours per week, accommodating the hours needed to perform learning and engagement activities during school hours as well as some evenings and weekends. Availability to support engagement activities connected to NatPhil performances is necessary. As the capacity of the organization evolves, there will be room for growth.
Salary: $50,000 plus benefits
- Attend all NatPhil performances and represent the learning and engagement department.
- Curate and oversee any learning and engagement activities in conjunction with NatPhil
Programs & Partnerships
- Center equity principles across all aspects of NatPhil’s learning and engagement programs.
- Plan and implement all aspects of NatPhil’s learning and engagement programs, including Youth
Mentorship Program, Lesson Bank, school concerts, key community partnerships, and other
- Work in collaboration with the Co-Director of Learning and Engagement to lead implementation and curation of programming as part of Harmonic Justice and Sphinx Orchestral Futurist in
- Set and track quarterly benchmarks for learning and engagement program outcomes. Provide bimonthly updates to the staff and quarterly updates to the board of directors.
- Use creativity and innovation in developing new programs that aim to incorporate current educational and technological initiatives and cultivate new community partnerships.
- Work in conjunction with Montgomery County, Prince George County Public school systems, nonprofit partners, community colleges, and other educational/civic institutions to establish
partnerships that are meaningful for students and community members.
- Develop or curate all materials used in professional development for teaching artists, volunteer training, and student preparation for education programs. Oversee the work of any outside contractors in the development of these materials.
- Act as one of the primary spokespersons for NatPhil in learning and engagement matters.
- Oversee the strategy behind the Summer String Institute (SSI) and support Director of SSI program while being present throughout the program.
Strategy & Implementation
- Actively participate in the organizational equity transformation and 5-year strategic planning process, which will include developing equitable learning and engagement programs for our communities and new communities not currently engaged.
- Develop budgets for each program; monitor the progress of each and adjust plans as necessary.
- Identify educational and DEIA trends that may present new opportunities for NatPhil; recommend a course of action that takes this information into account.
- Collaborate with the Development Department in developing funding proposals and campaigns for ongoing and new educational initiatives.
- In collaboration with the Marketing Department, oversee marketing and participation for all educational programs, including brochures, fliers, and advertisements as necessary. Partner with the Marketing Department on the promotion of the All Kids, All Free initiative, monthly enewsletters, and social media.
- In consultation with the Music Director and President/CEO, direct the orchestra musicians’ involvement in ensemble events sponsored by or supporting NatPhil’s learning and engagement
- Hire, train, manage, and evaluate the performance of all learning and engagement staff, including interns and volunteers.
- Work with the Board Education & Community Engagement Task Force leader(s) and other volunteers enlisted to participate in learning and engagement programs.
- Recruit new Board members who represent a broad spectrum of community and education interests.
For more information and to apply, click here.