Development and Communications Manager
Montgomery History, Rockville, MD
Montgomery History seeks a skilled, experienced, and enthusiastic professional for the position of Development and Communications Manager. The successful candidate will be an integral part of our team and will advance the organization’s mission by helping to build our base of support and increase awareness of and engagement in our activities.
About Montgomery History
Montgomery History collects, preserves, interprets, and shares the histories of all of Montgomery County’s residents. To that end, we undertake the following activities:
- Operate the Jane C. Sween Research Library and Special Collections, the county’s most comprehensive historical library;
- Manage the County’s official government archives;
- Maintain a 10,000-item collection of historic artifacts;
- Deliver a wide variety of educational programming, both in-person and online, including the annual Montgomery County History Conference, the county’s National History Day event, streaming History Conversations, and the award-winning Speakers Bureau;
- Operate the Stonestreet Museum of 19th Century Medicine on the campus of the City of Rockville’s c. 1815 Beall-Dawson House; and
- Provide a home for the Harper Center for Suburban Studies.
The Development and Communications Manager will report to and work closely with the Executive Director and the Development Committee of the Board of Directors. Responsibilities include:
- Prepare letters of inquiry, funding requests, and other materials to solicit funds from foundations, government agencies, businesses, and organizations.
- Oversee all aspects of membership solicitations, project-specific appeals, and Annual Fund campaign.
- Manage major giving program and support efforts to secure planned gifts.
- Produce timely donor updates and reports.
- Organize periodic donor cultivation and stewardship events.
- Research prospective individual donors, businesses, and foundations.
- Design and produce regular fundraising reports.
- Solicits donations of product and/or in-kind support from businesses and individuals.
- Ensure prompt and personalized gift acknowledgement and recognition.
- Oversee production of periodic outreach publications, including the schedule, writing, design/layout, editing, and distribution.
- Develop and coordinate the production of promotional materials related to fundraising and program activities.
- Maintain, update, and improve website content and design.
- Oversee social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Draft and distribute e-newsletters to our email list every other week.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Impeccable writing skills;
- At least three years of professional development experience (may include time spent in internships and volunteer work);
- Demonstrated track record of success using a variety of fundraising techniques including special events, corporate sponsorships, foundation proposals, and membership;
- Highly organized, thorough, and detail-oriented;
- Organizational and time management skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, WordPress, and social media platforms;
- Familiarity with graphic design techniques;
- Prior experience in developing promotional materials such as brochures, fact sheets, newsletters, and press releases;
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends;
- Creativity, inquisitiveness, flexibility, and good humor; and
- A valid driver’s license.
Preferred skills and experience:
- Experience working with 4-figure and higher donors and prospects;
- Experience working with a donor database or customer relationship management (CRM) software;
- HTML/website maintenance experience;
- Photography and video experience;
- Desktop publishing experience, especially with InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator;
- Experience working in a small nonprofit setting;
- Knowledge of the history and culture of Montgomery County, Maryland.
This is a permanent, full-time position with occasional weekend and evening hours required. Because programs and events may be located throughout Montgomery County, access to reliable transportation is required. The starting salary will be $48,000 to $52,000 with an opportunity for increases as the organization prospers. The benefit package includes health insurance and Federal holidays.
To apply, please email your resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in history and why you are a good fit for this position, and three professional references to Matthew Logan, Executive Director at info@MontgomeryHistory.org. Type “Application for Development and Communications Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Selected applicants will be contacted for telephone and/or in-person interviews.
Montgomery History is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protect