Title: OrchKids Program Manager
Reports to: OrchKids Associate Director of Programs
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
OrchKids uses music as a vehicle for students to develop 21st century skills (creativity, collaboration, leadership, etc.) that are transferable to all areas of their lives. Marin Alsop, Music Director Laureate of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and OrchKids Founding Director, shaped OrchKids into the cornerstone of the BSO’s community engagement efforts across the city with her artistic leadership and direction. OrchKids was founded in 2008 with 30 students at one elementary school with seed funding from Marin Alsop and Founding Donors Rheda Becker and Robert E. Meyerhoff.
OrchKids now works with seven schools in Baltimore City, serving over 1,800 children from Pre-K through 12th grade during school, after school, and in weeklong workshops.
In collaboration with several community partners OrchKids provides music education, instruments, academic assistance, meals, mental health resources, connection to social services, as well as performance and mentorship opportunities at no cost to students and families. OrchKids is an acknowledged leader in the El Sistema and social-change through music movement throughout the world.
The OrchKids Program Manager plays an integral role in managing and leading the operational, artistic, and logistical planning for OrchKids programming. This position acts as a core member of the OrchKids program team and is responsible for running the daily operations at assigned sites as well as the oversight of teaching artist staff. As a key fixture of the program team, this position also supports coordinating cross-site projects as well as guest artist performances, workshops, and other engagement opportunities for their sites. Supervised by the OrchKids Manager of Programs, this position also works collaboratively with the OrchKids Director of Education as well as other Program Managers and team members. This position will have some evening/weekend responsibilities.
- Work collaboratively with OrchKids Associate Director of Programs, Director of Education, and The Vice President of Orchkids to design site programmatic framework and schedule for 2-3 sites
- Work collaboratively with the Associate Director of Programs, Director of Education, and Artistic and Program Operations Manager to create/implement artistic content, initiatives, workshops, and guest artist engagements
- Design/Implement cross-site opportunities with the Program, Education, and Leadership Teams
- Work closely with Associate Director of Programs and other Leadership/Education Team members to evaluate programming and design strategic adjustments to current and new OrchKids programming
- Manage the operations for all assigned sites including:
- Student enrollment process, site-based payroll, data collection, student tracking/retention, any administrative reporting, site level communication systems, and other HR matters in adherence to the OrchKids standard operating procedures
- Manage OrchKids Teaching Artists at assigned sites
- Work collaboratively with the Associate Director of Programs and Director of Education and Senior Manager in the creation of site budgets and site budgetary decisions
- Manage the OrchKids site-based calendar, including OrchKids event information, teacher absences, and school site events such as field trips, testing schedules, closure, etc.
- Work closely with Teaching Artists, Manager of Programs, and Education Teams to implement consistent behavior management systems
- Support teachers during class time with behavior management and student office referrals
- Maintain clean and organized classroom/office environments
- Work closely with Artistic and Program Operations Manager to maintain site instrument inventory, equipment, and supplies at sites
- Support teachers in maintaining music library and student music folders, in particular, ensuring distribution of music for concerts, gigs, and special events
- Manage the loan process for student instruments, including maintaining records of taking instruments home, when instruments are not returned, or lost/damaged instruments
- Support Teaching Artists and students with instrument specific queries or repair issues in collaboration with Artistic and Operations Manager
- Assist in equipment transport, loading/unloading, and setup for concerts, guest artist performances, and special events at OrchKids sites and concert venues
For more information visit: https://bit.ly/3g6PNTa