The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), Special Programs Division, Youth Services is seeking outdoor nature artists to work on but not limited to: Chain Saw carvers, Hand Carvers, Found Material Sculptures etc. Artist will be part of the Arts on the Trail Project, Arts on the Trail locates natural material in and along the park and trail system within the Department of Parks and Recreation parks and trail system. Artists working with youth and input from the community will create sculpture installations, using material found onsite, that represent the location and/or environment of the trail. Arts on the Trail is an active program generally running from March to December each year. Web site: http://www.pgparks.com/Your_Parks/Trails/Art_on_the_Trails.htm
- Art on the Trail hours vary and could include week day and possible weekend hours generally 8 AM to 5 PM.
- Applicants are required to take the M-NCPPC defensive driving course.
- M-NCPPC will provide supplies based on the needs of each carver.
- Applicants will need to pass a fingerprint background check initiated by our office during the application process.
- The hourly rate we offer is commensurate with experience, based on the Specialty Services 4 scale as determined by Director of Human Resources.
Preferred Candidates will possess:
- Ten years of experience with a specialization in specific area in their selected artistic field.
- Ability to demonstrate and perform in skilled area.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of using natural elements, environmental friendly sealers, paints etc. to create natural installations.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of the tools used in creating natural works including but not limited to: variety of gas powered chain saws, die and angle grinders, sanders, hand carving tools including chisels, hand saws, shaping axes etc.
- The ability to supervise and work with groups of youth teaching environmental art and sculpture while maintaining composure and providing the energy needed to draw in and engage youth ages 15 and above.
- Proven record on public, private commissions and installations
- A valid driver’s license and the willingness to drive to various destinations in Prince George’s County.
- This position pays at a range from $21.00/hr-$33.50/hr dependent upon experience and qualifications.
For more information, visit: https://bit.ly/3xXga55