Mid Atlantic Arts seeks a Program Director, Folk and Traditional Arts, to direct and develop initiatives including the Central Appalachia Living Traditions (CALT) program and National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) Folk Arts Partnership program. This position manages, refines, and supports the organization’s existing work in the creation and implementation of grants and programs in the folk and traditional arts. This position also supports the development of organizational initiatives and best practices to advance institutional equity, with a particular focus on serving folk and traditional artists. This position supervises the Program Associate, Folk and Traditional Arts.
Program Development and Management Responsibilities:
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with program constituents and local, regional, and national folk arts stakeholders including the National Endowment for the Arts folk arts program, state folklife programs, and the Central Appalachia Living Traditions program partners.
- Facilitate the research, design, development, implementation, budgeting, and assessment of responsive folk and traditional arts programs in alignment with Mid Atlantic Arts’ strategic goals.
- Work with the External Affairs department to develop and maintain a robust communication (including CALT social media) and relationship-building plan prioritizing program and participant storytelling and applicant cultivation.
- Represent Mid Atlantic Arts through presenting at conferences and attendance at meetings, conferences, festivals, and community events to support the organization’s strategic goals.
- Serve as a resource for colleagues and constituents for information about the folk and traditional arts, particularly in Central Appalachian contexts, and keep abreast of developments in the field.
- Manage grantmaking cycles (in collaboration with the Program Associate, Folk and Traditional Arts), including systems for tracking and documentation of applicants and funded projects.
- Collaborate with grants administration staff to establish appropriate procedures for awards, monitoring, and reporting on funded projects and make grant recommendations for Board and funder review.
- Develop grant proposals in partnership with Director of Development.
- Maintain grant files, grant budgets, and other appropriate records on program activity.
- Serve as an internal resource to model and develop best practices in equitable communitycentered grantmaking and operations.
Organization and Community Responsibilities
- Actively participate in Mid Atlantic Arts’ strategic efforts to advance diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility in the organization and the folk and traditional arts community.
- Evaluate programs through the lens of EDIA objectives and strategic plan goals of Mid Atlantic Arts as well as the needs of the constituencies to whom they are directed.
- Participate in the development of new programs within the context of the organization’s mission, strategic goals, and priorities that will support artists, arts organizations, cultural communities, constituents of color, and audiences both within the region and beyond and help to build a stronger infrastructure for the folk and traditional arts.
- Support Mid Atlantic Arts’ effort for accessibility compliance, developing best practices for serving applicants and artists with disabilities in partnership with the Accessibility Coordinator.
- As part Mid Atlantic Arts’ commitment to curiosity and listening, we expect all staff to gather, care for, use and openly share knowledge in ways that advance equity, support shared learning, and amplify community expertise.
- Mid Atlantic Arts structures our work through portfolios of interconnected initiatives. All staff play a role in connecting knowledge across teams to further the organization’s mission and vision. This individual may be assigned to additional organizational initiatives based on evolving organizational needs.
The salary range for this position is $65,000 – $75,000 commensurate with experience.
Visit https://www.midatlanticarts.org/wp-content/uploads/Program-Director-FTA-Job-Posting.pdf for more information.